суббота, 14 мая 2011 г.

Very useful resourses in the internet

I want to mention some very useful resources which help me with my jazz studies.


The first is what I've just found. It's called Effortless Harmonica and is hosted by one of the best chromatic player on modern jazz and Brazilian music scene Wim Dijkgraaf. He is also famous for his springless  CX-12 mode and  his approach to improvisation.
Effortless Harmonica
There is a very clear approach to jazz tunes and scales. It remind s me old jazz guitarist's tradition where the CHORD TONES is the key thing and all other notes work as passing tones.
 The second site I'd like to mention is called jazzeveryone. Here you'll find a very solid pentatonic pairs approach and immediately start to  play in all 12 keys. I added Willie Thomas exercises to my daily practice. These exercises are easy to play on dimi harp and guitar.
You can try the free lesson and mothly payment is only 10 dollars( relatively cheap, I think:) . There also  special discount programms almost each month.



 

6 комментариев:

  1. Hi there, I've enjoyed reading your blog!

    I too am a fan of Wim's site!

    Just a note on your quote above: "Brendan Power: As for Diminished - if you want to play pure jazz, it's theoretically the best harp tuning. I have yet to hear anyone play it with real flourish and conviction, but no doubt that will happen in time."

    If the quote is referring to the diminished 10 hole (diatonic) harp, then I believe Ed Coogan HAS successfully played this tuning with expression and conviction. Have you heard him?

    If the quote is referring to the dimi chrom, then I would say that I have played a few ok things myself. Do I have plenty of room to grow? Sure. I am no Brendan Power, and there are a lot of things I'd like to improve about my playing. On the other hand, I think I have played some things on the dimi that I feel have expressed something.

    Point is, who is to say that nothing worthy of note has happened on the dimi yet? There are a lot of different ways of expressing ourselves!

    All the best, good luck with the dimi, and I'll stay tuned!

    Jason

    http://www.myspace.com/jasonharmonica

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. Hello, Jason! As far as I remember, Brendan Power said this in discussion on diminished tuned diatonic( actually it was his new powerbender topic,but we discussed diminished and cirular tunings also:)
    I'd like to hear Ed Coogan and any other diminished tuning player. Also I'd like to ask anyone who plays dimi harmonica( both 10 hole and chrom) on their experience. You may be remember me:). I asked some questions on dimi chromatic range last year on slidemeister
    I have more new things to add to this blog but was buzy

    ОтветитьУдалить
  3. http://www.modernbluesharmonica.com/board/board_topic/5560960/683106.htm
    here's the link to above mentioned discussion on Adam Gussow forum

    ОтветитьУдалить
  4. Hey Dr. M, thanks for the link! Good discussion. Are you still at Slidemeister? Feel free to get in touch. Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts as you have time!

    ОтветитьУдалить
  5. I frequently read slidemeister forum. I even have now a seydel dimi harmonica. But small tenhole dimi harp is better for me. Though accurate bend pitch is still a hard task sometimes i have good results:)
    Now I play a lot with my fellow guitarist and it seems to be very interesting:). I'll post my bending tips soon:)

    ОтветитьУдалить
  6. Hey dude awesome idea for a blog. But you need to update more often. And also I'd love to hear some of your playing.

    I play on a Powerchromatic Tuned 10 hole diatonic. It's awesome. 1 overblow to get full chrom scale.

    Iam going to get me one of those dimi harps in a matter of days to test run.

    ОтветитьУдалить